Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

First Chiropractor Visit...EVER

Wow it has been over a month since my last post! I actually have a few recipes I've been wanting to share but life just gets so busy. However today I couldn't wait to jump on here and record my amazing experience of a visit I had with a chiropractor/naturopath. I went in for a pinch in my back that I've had for a week and got the recommendation for this particular guy from my trusty Dr. Lucy. Aside from getting help with my back I couldn't wait to talk with a health professional who has been helping people for over 30 years. A little bit daunting considering I have some very strong views that don't exactly match up with what the majority population thinks but I knew if Lucy recommended him we would probably see eye to eye. I couldn't have imagined how well I would connect with this wise, lively, 60 year old fit triathlete. Talk about practice what you preach. How refreshing it was to speak to someone with his knowledge and experience and be validated in every single one of my opinions. How comforting to be given a high five when I told him I stopped vaccinating my kids. We even talked on a very deep personal/religious level (not on purpose but somehow the conversation went there, holistically its all connected right) and agree 100%. The one thing I thought we would disagree on is being vegetarian. I thought for sure he would advocate eating meat everyday and I was ready with my defense. Not even close! As he confirmed to me that animal protein is an inferior protein source, it is a very small percentage of nutrients that need to be met on a daily basis and can easily be reached through eating plants only. Even taking it a step further acknowledging I should stay away from dairy (which is my one weakness that basically holds me back from being vegan). Our enthusiasm was mutual as I'm sure he wasn't expecting to meet someone like me today. In his own words, "You are the perfect patient, it's rare I get to just fine tune someone." I know how self absorbed this post must sound and I'm really not trying to toot my own horn. It just feels good to connect with an experienced health expert who totally understands me and basically validates all these "crazy" ideas I have, including everything I have shared on this blog thus far. I certainly don't need his validation, I know how good I feel with my lifestyle choices and I am confident in the knowledge I have gained about how the body functions and how to best maintain it, but it still feels nice.

He also practices Iridology which I have been so interested in since I heard about it several months ago. So I had my eyes read and he pinpointed a few areas that can be the most problematic for me. It was really interesting to learn how the eyes tell all.

Oh AND he fixed my back haha! I've never been to a chiropractor in my life! I was a tiny bit scared getting cracked in all these places I didn't know could crack, but boy did I feel good walking out of there. The pinch is all but gone and I just need to follow a few recommendations to keep improving it. I really can't say enough good things about this guy and it is such a relief to know that there are other people like me that exist but with 30+ years of experience and perspective. You can tell he really does this job to help people. If the old run down office they operate from, or the additional half hour he spent with me while other patients waited didn't give that away, his kind and loving spirit certainly did. Thank you Dr. Johnston!

6 comments:

  1. wow, sounds like an amazing healer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s true. Chiropractic care may not be a common option for everyone. And there are some people who are skeptical to try it. But once you know the nature of chiropractic care and how it can help improve one’s health, you’ll surely give it a try. Anyway, I’m glad that you had a great time with your first experience. Stay healthy!

    Victor Barnes @ Advanced Alternative Medicine Center

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this post Kim. As I was reading it sounded as thought I was reading about Bill (Josh's dad). They seem like long lost brothers or something! I love it. I also love hearing about your health journey because I can relate to so much of it, especially the feeling that your a lone crazy person in your thoughts and beliefs, and when you find someone who thinks similarly, you just smile and feel so good knowing that in fact you AREN'T crazy!!! This Dr sounds amazing and I hope more people can meet Practitioners like him and find a way to better health. Love your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being able to connect with our doctors on a positive level is good validation of their capabilities with regard to medicine. In any case, I'm glad that your mutual enthusiasm with Dr. Johnston brought about positive results from his skills as a chiropractor. I'm also happy to know that your back is feeling better. Thanks for sharing that, Kimberlee! Take care! :)

    Jacqueline Hodges @ Dr. Koziol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It seems like you really enjoyed your first visit to a chiropractor. It’s nice to know that not only did he resolve your back problems, you two even established great rapport, as if you are close friends already. It’s quite hard to find a doctor that you’ll get along with, so it’s a great thing that you found yours. Thanks for sharing that, Kimberlee! All the best to you!


    Ramona Walters @ OMNI Health and Rehab Clinic

    ReplyDelete