Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Immunity Boost

I have been so sick the last few days! It began on Friday as a little tickle in my throat, so I started on my DoTerra OnGuard essential oil and then Saturday it seemed like it was going away. Sunday I woke up feeling awful and Monday was the worst of all! I didn't do myself any favors over the weekend by indulging on every comfort food I saw fit. So my husband says to me, "I guess your oils didn't work" but what he doesn't realize is that oils are just an additional remedy that can help fight illness and symptoms. They can certainly treat an isolated symptom in many cases, but actually work better as a holistic remedy when you care for the body as a whole, starting with nutrition. I truly believe that the right food can boost your immunity and help the healing process, so yesterday I kicked myself into gear and ate a ton of healthy alkaline foods. Alkaline versus acidic foods is something I've only just started to research. Basically it has to do with the PH balance of your body and the research indicates that disease and illness cannot live in a body that is PH balanced. Its not about the acidic content of the actual food but rather how that food is absorbed by the body, for example lemons are an acidic fruit but are very alkalizing to the body. I found a decent webpage HERE that briefly goes over this topic and lists some of the foods. With nothing fresh in the house yesterday I had to drag myself to the store and grab a bunch of fresh alkaline fruit and veg! When I got home I started with this refreshing drink..
1/4 orange sliced, 1/2 lime sliced, 6 slices cucumber, 4 drops lemon essential oil (the store had no lemons what the?!), purified water
I also tried a garlic sandwich for the first time. My sister Lucy swears by these or just garlic in general when you are sick. The bread and mayo are not alkaline but it helps the garlic go down. I probably could have just eaten plain garlic since I could not taste a darn thing! I can only imagine what my breath smelled like when Ethan got home.
4 cloves garlic chopped, bread, mayo
5 minutes after eating this sandwich my sinus pressure went away and my nose cleared! I continued throughout the day with more alkaline water, another garlic sandwich, watermelon, fresh carrot/orange juice, and for dinner a chicken barley vegetable soup (not an entirely alkaline soup but still really healthy and felt so good on my throat!). By the end of the day I was feeling a little better but tired. Woke up this morning feeling AMAZING! I know that my diet has really been lacking the last month, but I haven't been gaining weight either so I've justified indulging more than usual. Note to self: weight is not an accurate indicator of health!! Hopefully this has gotten me back on track, if for no other reason than to avoid feeling that sick again anytime soon!

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try the sandwich next time I get sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My throat is ticklish right now and i want that drink so bad.... actually i have all those ingredients and im going to go make one :) But- luckily i have no garlic in the house :) haha. I dont think i could stomach that sandwhich, although it sounds like a winner.... I might get desperate by tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete