Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Free-Range Eggs

I made the best discovery yesterday that I am so excited about....a local lady who sells free-range eggs! This is fantastic for me considering I have a goal to eat organic/free-range meat this year and especially because we eat so many eggs at our house! Its actually one of the most ethical forms of protein since there is no killing of the animal and yet they are so rich in protein and nutrients. I have seen signs for these "fresh" eggs on a road that I frequently drive near my house, but never really thought to investigate it. Then I saw a good recommendation for her on a community Facebook page that I am apart of, so I thought it can't hurt to just check it out and see how much she charges.  For anyone who has never seen backyard eggs before you probably think what is wrong with those hens?!...

You can see I have a whole range of colors here, blue, green, brown and white, something you most definitely would not see in the grocery store. It simply has to do with the genetics of the bird. If you are interested in a more in-depth look at how eggs get their color check out this ARTICLE

Not only is her price very affordable ($3 a dozen) but the color and taste of these eggs speak for themselves. The yolk is a rich dark orange and very thick and creamy, compared to commercial eggs that are a pale orange or yellow and no where near the same texture. Besides the obvious nutritional difference in these eggs, the thing I like most about them is the integrity of where they came from as well as supporting a local farmer. Yes you can buy free range eggs at the grocery store, however there is always a little skepticism in the back of my mind as to just how "free" the hens are and without visiting the farm myself I could never be sure. These hens are super happy! They are kept in a large pen with tons of room to run around but she even lets them out a few times a week so they get to scratch around the yard for a bit. Contrary to many of the industrial egg farms who still use wire battery cages with 3-4 hens per cage, among other abuse. The hens are barely able to stand up let alone flap their wings, build a nest, perch, and perform other activities that are in their nature to do. There is no watchdog for these places. The only information that even comes out is from undercover animal rights activists. The worst part about it is that for all that suffering the eggs are not as good quality. It's all about the company maximizing their resources to make a bigger profit.

I am not against the consumption of animals and I do believe animals were put on this earth for man to use, but I also believe there is a right way and a wrong way to treat every species on this earth, no matter how simple or powerless they may seem. A large part of my organic meat goal is about opening my eyes to how the industry really is instead of ignoring it for the sake of convenience and price and realizing that I do not need to contribute to the problem. One day I would love to have my own chickens, but until then thank you local egg lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment