Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Kale Salad

Kale is my new leaf of choice for salads. I love the taste, I love the texture and I love the nutrition! Kale works especially well for making meals ahead of time because you can dress the leaves and let it sit in the fridge for a day or two and it won't go completely soggy.  I am obsessing over this salad I made the other day and had to share.

Kale and Butternut Squash salad with Feta and Caramelized Onions

1 Bunch Kale - washed and torn into bite size pieces
1 Butternut Squash - peeled, seeds removed, and cut into large chunks
1 Yellow Onion, sliced
Feta Cheese
Sliced Almonds

Dressing:
1/2 lemon
1TBS Honey
Drizzle Olive Oil (maybe 1-2 TBS)

Preheat oven to 400F and place the onions and squash in a large baking pan. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper then place in the oven for 45min-1hour (or until the onions are nice and caramelized and the squash is soft). Meanwhile place the Kale in a large bowl, drizzle with the dressing ingredients, and massage together until evenly coated. Don't just toss it but really work those leaves with your hands! Kale is very sturdy so this trick helps it to relax a bit and makes it taste amazing! Once the squash and onions are done, cool slightly before plating - Kale, squash/onions, then sprinkled with feta cheese and sliced almonds. Serves 4. 


2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I shall have to try it out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it sound soo.. good, I agree it makes you want to try it !

    ReplyDelete