Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Sausage Principle....

"If you love something, never find out how it was made" -John Oliver

This quote is from a segment on the John Oliver Show in reference to the FIFA soccer organization. A sport that John Oliver loves but upon further investigation, realized that FIFA is nothing more than a money hungry corporation, willing to take advantage of the fanaticism of the spectators while abusing the weakness and desperation of small countries and third world populations. This principle eludes that sometimes, things are too good to be true. That ignorance truly is bliss. That if you love something, that love might actually blind you from seeing what it really is or to even question it. This phrase has become significant to me over the last year. There are many things I once thought (or didn't think about at all), but new information and a new perspective has changed my mind. Even though I feel like some of my world has been completely turned around (as change so often does), the world is actually making sense and I have a deeper realization of my life and purpose. I have more compassion for human beings and all creatures. I have found a greater hope in mankind as I see so much good being done, and believe anyone can make a change from within.

Which is why I will not stop speaking up for the things I believe in. If you know me, you can imagine I take the sausage principle quite literally, in that you seriously do not want to know how they make sausage lol. I do not want to ignore facts just because it is easier, or because it is what the majority is doing, and especially when it causes suffering. I have not eaten animal flesh for over a year for this very reason. I believe most humans have compassion and empathy for animals. Why else would veterinarian doctors exist or laws be created that make cruelty for domestic pets illegal?



In addition to compassion and empathy, there are many health reasons why factory farms are simply no good. (click the news headline for a great comprehensive article on these reasons!)

Avian Flu Outbreak Among Chickens—What This Disaster Can Tell Us About Our Food Production


Food really is a personal choice and I am accepting of whatever choices people want to make. But it is different when that choice contributes to the suffering of another creature. The key is education, awareness and small changes. First world citizens do not need to eat meat at every single meal of the day, or even every day, or even at all, because we have access to any kind of food we want. Yet we are meant to believe that eating meat so frequently is normal. It is natural to have that desire and even necessary for good health. Given all these justifications and the fact that people just plain LIKE the taste, makes it easier to ignore the repercussions of supporting an industry that takes devastating shortcuts in order to meet demand and increase profit. Shortcuts like the overuse of antibiotics, steroids, and the deliberate pain and suffering of innocent animals who happen to be as clever, loving, and loyal as the family pet. The laws can and certainly should change so that they no longer protect the corporations. But before that happens I believe in changing the hearts of the people, after all, that is where the profit comes from. First step is to reject the sausage principle!

1 comment: