Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

I LOVE Halloween! Except for...

THE CANDY! What a weird holiday where everyone dresses up and goes door to door to get candy from strangers? Nevertheless I still love the dressing up part about it. But what to do with all the candy?! I remember being a kid and getting TONS of candy. Me and my sister would categorize it and then thoughtfully select which ones to eat first. My parents were awesome and never took our candy away but let us eat to our hearts content. And even though I can appreciate now how awesome they were to do that, I feel bad letting my kids to the same! I'm sure when they are older I will have no choice but for now I try to keep it reasonable. I let them eat as much as they want on Halloween, then after that it all goes into a huge bowl and is used for rewards. This still doesn't solve my dilemma that I love to eat candy. I hardly ever keep treats in the house because I can't control myself. But I'd feel too wasteful just throwing all that Halloween candy in the garbage so the only defense that has somewhat worked for me is to keep the candy where I can't see it, usually in the pantry up high. If its in the fridge or on the counter or even on a shelf that is in my direct line of sight, its just too difficult to not reach in a grab a piece. Its like an impulse food that I don't even care about if its not there, but if I can see it there's no stopping me. So readers (all 5 of you), what do you do with your Halloween candy and how to you keep yourself from going overboard on treats during the holiday season?

3 comments:

  1. I feel lucky that Afton doesn't care much for candy, and neither do I. Don't get me wrong I will eat some, but I don't go nuts. This year we came back with a huge stash and I have a feeling we will have candy in the house well until after Valentine's Day! I'm sure I will end up eating (chocolate is my weakness) way more than I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably not a very good example, but I love Halloween BECAUSE of the candy! Well.... the chocolate to be exact, I'm so grateful to all the kind parents who buy cadbury's for Halloween, because it goes straight into a pile for me!
    Embrace it I say, and Christmas time too. We've got the rest of the year to be healthy :) But like I said.... I'm probably not a good example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the switch witch (she lives on the other side of the moon and comes after halloween to switch the kids' candy for a toy) take the candy and the boys gets a small toy. Then it goes to Tj's office where it's no longer my problem. :)

    ReplyDelete