Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Fruit/Veg Fast - Day 1

After YEARS of avoiding water consumption at any cost and despising all vegetables besides peas, corn and potato, my husband is embarking on a lifestyle change... starting with an 8 day fruit and veg fast and I've decided to join him. Yes, that means we will only be eating fruit, vegetables, and vegetable juice for the next week! The goal of this detox is to reboot the system and give the body a jump start to a healthy diet. Out with the old and in with the new. I've always wanted to do some kind of detox just to see if I could be that strict for a whole week, so this is the perfect opportunity for me to scratch it off my list and support the hubs at the same time. Ironically this was all his idea! It's actually been fun so far, I loved waking up and juicing together, and yes I realize we are still in the honeymoon stage of this detox, and a few days from now I'm sure we will be pulling out our hair and biting our nails down just itching to get our hands on a sandwich.

My favorite part about this detox is that it is unlimited fruit and veg! After counting calories and logging in every single food to My Fitness Pal over the last 7 months, this is a huge perk for me! I might still log everything in just to see what I've eaten and to keep a record of this experience, but it is so nice to not care about the calories. I ate 2 avocados today, have you ever heard of anything so absurd! That's about 500 calories and over 100g of good fat, and I'm totally allowed to for the next week. I mixed it with fresh cilantro, lime and garlic to dip my veggies in
Dinner was a hearty italian style vegetable soup made with zucchini, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, corn, cabbage, fresh pureed tomatoes, italian seasoning, and some organic vegetable stock. We did kinda long for some dipping bread, but it was still yummy:)
I've also had bananas, raisins, strawberries, watermelon, pineapple, baked potato wedges and am looking forward to some kind of frozen fruit smoothie later tonight. Weird to think I've only eaten fruit and vegetables all day?!

5 comments:

  1. Way to go! Everything looks super yummy. Sometimes I crave just veggies and Mmmmm Mmmmm they make ya feel good! Good luck to both of you!! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm! Is this detox suitable while breast feeding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it is suitable while breastfeeding because I think Tayce is starting it on Sunday and they are the ones that told us about it! Maybe ask her just to be sure:)

      Delete
  3. So proud of you and wish I could do it with you! Kier, I have only heard of one detox that is safe while breastfeeding, but this looks fine since you still eat cooked vegetables. I would research it . IF anything just add lots of fruit and vegetables to your day and definitely juice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been detoxing from refined sugar for almost 6 months, and it has totally changed my way of diet thinking. No calorie counting, no guilt, no matching food groups, just no refined sugar. I've lost 25 pounds, still losing, and feeling really great.

    ReplyDelete